Saturday, August 22, 2020

TRIP TO HYDE IN 2015

 With our friend Peter in the hospital and having a serious time of it, we could not go up to Vermont next week where there was limited wi-fi.   

So, we met Elizabeth's old roommate and Eddie at a grand diner in Glens Falls.  I loved the place.  The food was on my diet and good.  There were books.  We had a fine visit.

From their books I brought a biography, The Life and Death of Andy Warhol. I've skimmed it for some interesting bits, but I'm still not a great Warhol fan.

From there we went to the Hyde museum.  I had heard a woman on NPR discussing the two newest shows, Winslow Homer and Andy Warhol.  She talked to bridge the gap in their differences and explain how the two shows might easily fit together

http://wamc.org/term/hyde-collection#stream/0

hit "listen" to hear the discussion.

Well, I just don't get Warhol.  Cara with her art background tried to help, to show me the value of these very minimal sketches, but I continue to think of this more as presenting a celebrity who challenged the ideas of art and less of anything of value.  I'm sure, given the on of his painting just sold for 32 million the problem is more mine than Warhole's.

I did come to like the Marilyn Monroe paintings and once saw them in some gallery now long forgotten.  There was no Marilyn at this exhibit.

I did enjoy the Homer.  These were wood engravings.  Homer would sketch out what he wanted and skilled carvers would create the wood to make the prints.  I like his paintings better except for the watercolors which I like less than these detailed prints. 

 

 

This is Gloucester Harbor




I've seen many versions of this "Snap the Whip" piece.  It is part of the art that focuses on boys who would have been like the boys my grandfather grew up with.  I probably like them because of that.

We saw the print for this painting, but not the painting.  It was a bit creepy.  Here was a union sniper waiting to ambush a Confederate officer.  His buttons are missing so there is no glint from the sun to give him away.










***************









 









Then we toured the permanent collection.  I know I've seen this before, but I did not remember much except the courtyard.  I liked these collected pieces very much and was very excited to see El Greco in the mix.  I responded to it in a way I have not responded to El Greco in decades, perhaps never.  







Then a print of this one is on our wall in the bedroom.  It seemed a good companion to the print we bought from friends of Craig in Italy on our trip.  We met the artist and he opened a bottle of wine to celebrate the buying of the $20 print.  They went his profits.





Perhaps we bought it at the Hyde in some long ago visit that we now cannot remember.

Along with the works of art was the comfortable feel of the rooms which were real rooms in what had been a real house. Some of the antique furniture caught my sense of beauty, especially some of the wood pieces.  I do love wood grain looks.







The photograph does not do this piece justice.




The marble top really looked modern in design





Elizabeth liked this bathroom.




I normally don't respond too well to Madonna scenes, but I liked this one.  The overview of the ocean helped.


 

Cara likes this artist.

 

 

 



Here Eddie poses in one of the rooms



This scene reminded me a bit of one of my favorites at The Clark called The Amorous Proposal.  The same technique seems to be used to  highling the woman getting water.
 
 
 
This Renoir is certainly on of the calendar pictures my mother had above the stove.  I was always curious about them.  Mom was distainful, but it was a free calendar from the Buffalo Evening News.
 

 

 

 











By Catholic Digest Staff


St. James the Lesser
Feast Day May 3

 
James the Lesser, meaning younger, is traditionally celebrated as being the author of a letter in the New Testament. His mother is thought to have been a sister or close relative of the Blessed Virgin Mary. According to Jewish custom, James was sometimes called the brother of the Lord, which could refer to any male relative. Their family ties gave rise to the idea that Jesus and James might have shared some similar traits in appearance, and the speculation that their physical likeness could have been the reason for Judas having to identify Jesus with a kiss. Also known as James the Just because of his righteousness and devotion, James became the first bishop of Jerusalem.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

MIKE DAWN ROBIN BOBBY DEBBIE IN GENEVA

  We had our annual Autum meetup here at Lakefront 41 in downtown Geneva. The hotel was right on Geneva lake Here is Robin looking at the di...