Tuesday, July 4, 2023

THE CLARK MUSEUM WITH CHRISTINE AND ELLEN

 Friends Ellen and Christine went to the Clark with me on our membership which includes free entry for up to two people.  Elizabeth stayed home to write.

The big draw was the Edvard Munch exhibit.  

I saw it my last visit, and "Monk" is not a favorite of mine, so while my guests saw that, I walked through my favorites in the Permanent collection.

Then I rested in the fine overstuffed chairs.

And with Christine and Ellen I toured the permanent collection a second time.

I took a few photos of things I wanted to remember.

I always enjoy this painting because of the fine representation of the snow.  I miss snow like this.  



I actually joined a tour group for some conversation on this painting. There was a variety of opinon about the dark figure, but the notes say it is just a fellow held up by the clog of sheep and not someone forcing the girl to take her pets to market.


I have recently seen a painting on line much like this one, except as I remember the net was full of fish, not being abandoned.
It may be that what I saw was Jesus calling the Zebedee brothers fishing in another boat.

Jesus Calls Four Fishermen

18 As Jesus walked along the shore of Lake Galilee, he saw two brothers who were fishermen, Simon (called Peter) and his brother Andrew, catching fish in the lake with a net. 19 Jesus said to them, “Come with me, and I will teach you to catch people.” 20 At once they left their nets and went with him.

21 He went on and saw two other brothers, James and John, the sons of Zebedee. They were in their boat with their father Zebedee, getting their nets ready. Jesus called them, 22 and at once they left the boat and their father, and went with him.






Here is another painting not in the Clark, but of the same scene.  In this one, the nets are no abandoned.



This is one of the four seasons, each one a lovely young woman dressed for the times.  








I have been reading about Aurora lately along with other Mythology.  I have a fine old school book from when Greek and Roman  mythology was taught and am enjoying it.  
So, this captured my attention:




Of course, I visited all my favorites previously posted on other adventures here on the blog.  "The Musical Group" is my favorite.  

Ellen's favorite is this one

It is by John Sargent.
Ellen sees her as a woman waving in a smoke that induces inner meditation.
Ambergris is a product of whales.  

And is used in perfumes.  
Today trading in it is illegal, but lots of perfumes are named after it.
I did not find any reference to a drug induced state, but like any incense, it might be common in those days to induce meditation.

Afterwards we went to The Water Street Grill and had a grand meal of fish and chips.  The fish is scrod, not Swai as was served in another place in Williamstown.  I don't eat Swai.
It was delicious served with waffle fries that were pretty crispy.  I had my left overs for breakfast and the air fryer made the waffle fries even more crispy.
At Water Street they also served Athletic New Wave NA beer although the waitress called in Atlantic.
Service was great!  Since the 1896 pub with great half duck stopped being open for lunch, this will now we my go-to spot after seeing the Clark.
I was delighted to have the stamina to stay through the day and not get tired.  
Christina drove and that took away any driving anxiety.
She was wondering why the mountain mounted windmills turned so slowly or perhaps not at all.
Something to research.  
So, it was a great trip all around. Delightful, intelligent company, great works of art, and good food.  It does not get much better than that.


No comments:

Post a Comment

MIKE DAWN ROBIN BOBBY DEBBIE IN GENEVA

  We had our annual Autum meetup here at Lakefront 41 in downtown Geneva. The hotel was right on Geneva lake Here is Robin looking at the di...