Saturday, October 14, 2017

BRUCE AND ABIGAIL TO CLARK

Elizabeth and I joined Bruce and Abigail at the Clark Museum today, again using our NARM passes.  We had a fine visit with each other and a fine interaction about art.  Bruce has so much to share.

 Bruce and I talked about this painting which again delighted me.  We discussed how the clarity of the faces of the sister and brother contrast with the almost blurred hands and surroundings, so the viewer is drawn in to the painting.


 We saw the No Rules exhibition.  http://www.clarkart.edu/Mini-Sites/No-Rules/Exhibiti
on

It was more abstract than is in my taste, but both Abigail and Elizabeth saw plenty to discuss and Bruce tried to get me into some of the art.  There were woodcuts in one section and up the hill were large paintings representing her work.



Although this was painted after a trip to Spain, and I could see some hints of Spain in it, it did not much thrill me.




This one Bruce thought I would like because it was like standing on a dock and looking into the ripples of the blue water.  It was themed as developing aspects of Blues music.





 In the woods Abigail found in this fallen and mold encrusted trunk a very abstract piece of art.  At least this makes sense to me.
 In one section of the museum were a number of these paintings all based on Milton's Paradise Lost, all with angels and most with fairly dark scenes.

 I liked the Constable paintings.  Many were very rural pieces and one of the wheat harvest reminded me of paintings in the Appleton Museum.



 This was interesting just to know why farmers needed to Flail turnips.
http://www.clarkart.edu/Art-Pieces/9717

This suggests it was to collect their oil rich seeds.

https://www.istc.illinois.edu/research/energy/biofuels_biodiesel/turnip_seed_oil/


https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/rapeseed%20oil






This painted influenced the art we spent most of our time with, the Helen Frankenhale.





No comments:

Post a Comment

MIKE DAWN ROBIN BOBBY DEBBIE IN GENEVA

  We had our annual Autum meetup here at Lakefront 41 in downtown Geneva. The hotel was right on Geneva lake Here is Robin looking at the di...