Sunday, June 7, 2015

Old Post Clark museum

Well, I told everyone that I bailed the boat yesterday, and predicted the bailing would make rain today, and it is raining hard this morning with thunder as well.  No fishing just now.
I did catch four big bluegill off the dock and fed Keith and Gio bluegill bits for breakfast yesterday.  Gio had his first taste.  He liked them better with ketchup.  Dewey also had his first taste.
About 55 years ago I overhead my mother wondering aloud how my grandfather could eat bluegills done in just a little water, which he did for the rest of his life after a gall bladder attack.  It taught me they would not be good that way.  So, I've never cooked them that way.
Yesterday I put a bit of garlic on them and cooked tiny Lime Lake sized bluegills in a little water.  They were delicious.  Live and learn.

Dana, the Jeneral, Eliz, and I went up to the Clark and saw the new show called "Unearthed"
http://www.dailygazette.net/standard/ShowStoryTemplate.asp?Path=SCH/2012/07/12&ID=Ar02900&Section=Life_and_Arts
which was a collection of burial art dug up in the North Eastern part of China along the Silk road reflecting tombs from the 5th to the 11th century.  It was great.  There was a complete sarcophagus from Song Shaozu who died in 477 AD which had been taken apart, shipped and reassembled
(see the photo in this article)
http://www.iberkshires.com/story/41561/Clark-Exhibit-Explores-Founder-s-China-Connections.html?source=top_stories
and many great clay figures depecting vehicles like an oxcart that would take the dead to the promised land and scary figures that would protect them along the way as well as guard the crypt from robbers.  These are called zhenmushou. 
The horses shown were really fat, like the one I rode in Vegas.  There were also camels.  Camels were associated with wealth and status in 550-570.

My new word of the day was mingqi
http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/hd/mgqi/hd_mgqi.htm

One of my old words from the trip to museum with Harvey and Alice was revisited.
ewer.
There was an ewer here with a decorative tiny chicken and a handle in the form of a dragon.

These diggings were a long way from Kung Ming where Gregg's dad did the photography; however, at the upper section of the Clark were photographs that used the same technique of pairing the past shot with a present shot.  We did not get to visit that part yesterday, but Gregg might like to see how the photographing pairings compare with his work.

I could not photograph the "Unearthed" displays, but I could photograph the rest of the permanent collection. 





Photobucket



I liked this painting of the Virgin and Child with Saints Elizabeth and John the Baptist by the Netherlandish artist Quentin Massys painted about 1520 to 1525.,Here the religious babies look like they are from the Netherlands and the scene beyond is very green and wonderful.


 

Photobucket


This is the second in a series of three paintings that depict a burglary. This one show the robbers being confronted and arrested. Here is what should happen to my tree robbing neighbors, I thought as I studied the paintings, especially the angry outrage on the faces of those doing the arresting. The artist is Louis Leopoid Boilly and the date 1810, just about the time my Ashcraft ancestors were opening up the land in the Southern tier for settlement.


Photobucket


My notes are weak on this one. Here was a young girl (nymph?) being attacked by a ferocious dragon and defended by a fellow riding a flying creature. Great stuff!



Photobucket And of course, I had to reshoot this one of David Teniers "The Younger Card Players". Here is a fine poker painting showing the most negative possibilities in card playing. In addition, we were to revisit some of my favorites: The Winslow Homer paintings, especially the "Undertow" the Women of Amphissa who were hosted by the women of their enemies after they had spent too much time drinking in celebration of Bachus, the god of wine.. Plutarch said this was a lesson in charity. http://www.victorianweb.org/painting/tadema/paintings/king2.html

Afterwards, I had mahi mahi out on some lake in Massachusettes on the way back from the Clark. 
It was delicious. 
It was great to find something on the otherwise pub food and mostly fried menu that I could eat.  The Jeneral found this dish for me.  Thanks, Jen.

The lake was much larger than Burden Lake, but much noisier.  Perhaps this is not such a bad location after all. 
It certainly is quiet today as we prepare food for the relatives joining us soon for a gathering. As I post, the rain has been replaced by fine sunshine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

MIKE DAWN ROBIN BOBBY DEBBIE IN GENEVA

  We had our annual Autum meetup here at Lakefront 41 in downtown Geneva. The hotel was right on Geneva lake Here is Robin looking at the di...